Downey was born April 4, 1965 in Manhattan, New York, the son of writer, director and filmographer Robert Downey Sr. and actress Elsie Downey (née Elsie Ann Ford). Robert’s father is of half Lithuanian Jewish, one quarter Hungarian Jewish, and one quarter Irish, descent, while Robert’s mother was of English, Scottish, German, and Swiss-German ancestry.
Robert and his sister, Allyson Downey, were immersed in film and the performing arts from a very young age, leading Downey Jr. to study at the Stagedoor Manor Performing Arts Training Center in upstate New York, before moving to California with his father following his parents’ 1978 divorce. In 1982, he dropped out of Santa Monica High School to pursue acting full time.
Downey Sr., himself a drug addict, exposed his son to drugs at a very early age, and Downey Jr. would go on to struggle with abuse for decades. Downey made his earliest feature film appearances in such films as Baby, It’s You (1983), Firstborn (1984), Weird Science (1985) and Back to School (1986). From 1985 to ’86, he was a regular cast member of Saturday Night Live, NBC’s popular sketch-comedy program Downey’s first leading role on the big screen was a charming womanizer in The Pick-up Artist (1987),
A romantic comedy co-starring Molly Ringwald that was written and directed by James Toback. His breakthrough performance came in 1987 with Less Than Zero (1987), in which he co-starred with Andrew McCarthy. Downey played the party loving, cocaine-addicted Julian Wells in the film
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
|Hair Color||Dark Brown|
|Height||Feet: 5′ 8″ || Centimeters: 174 CM|
|Weight||Kilograms: 78 kg || Pounds: 172 Pounds|
|Chest Size||38 Inches|
|Shoe Size||10 (US) || 41 (EU) || 8 (UK)|
Robert Downey Jr. Weight Height Eye Color Body Measurements Shoe Size Hair Color Chest Size Complexion
Downey Life’s events
- He was considered for the title role in Edward Scissorhands (1990), which went to Johnny Depp.
- Good friends with: Mel Gibson, James Spader, Mark Ruffalo,
- Gwyneth Paltrow, Ben Stiller, Scarlett Johansson, Rob Lowe and Johnny Depp.
- Good friends with Marvel Cinematic Universe cast: Scarlett Johansson, Elizabeth Olsen, Jeremy Renner, Chris Evans, Jon Favreau, Paul Bettany, Don Cheadle and Cobie Smulders.
- As a five-year-old Robert uttered his very first words of dialog on film in his father Robert Downey Sr.’s Pound (1970): “Have any hair on your balls?”.
- Maintained a professional work ethic when he was a drug addict.
- In The Nice Guys (2016) played cameo of corpse, Sid Shattuck.
- He is a cousin of crooner Harry Connick Jr., news woman Barbara
- Walters and stunt pro Garner Ted Aukerman.
He came dead last in Rolling Stone’s ranking of all 141 castmembers of Saturday Night Live (1975).
“But I will agree that I think that things happen with people in relationships, that you might have been able to enjoy Morocco, say, if you weren’t getting out of a bad marriage. You know what I mean?”